Pages

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Eve Gaddy: Procrastinating With Pens

I was “working” (i.e. procrastinating) on my current project the other day when I was suddenly overwhelmed by the need to do something about my pens. I have no idea what normal people (non-writers) feel about pens but I confess, I have an addiction to them.

I love pens, by which I mean the whole gamut of writing utensils. Ballpoint pens, gel pens, glitter pens, fountain pens, markers and highlighters of all kinds and colors. Fine tip, medium tip, any kind of tip you want. And pencils. Plain and colored, mechanical and regular, but I do like pens more. Some of my obsession comes with the colors. When I was a child a brand new box of 64 crayons was one of my most treasured possessions.

I love the different colors. But when I am jotting down notes I tend to use a black ballpoint pen. It must meet certain requirements. I don’t like fat pens, probably because I have small hands with short fingers. I feel very clumsy using a fat pen. I don’t like heavy pens, either. It needs to write smoothly, with no blobs of ink coming out and I don’t want to have to turn myself inside out to force it to work.

If you’ve ever been to a writer’s conference you know that going into the goodie room and being able to get pens of all sorts it pure nirvana to someone like me. Writers use them as SWAG. I found one of my favorites at this years’ conference. Joanne Rock’s pen is exactly what I like. Plus it’s pretty. I’m going to email her and see where she got it.:) Because, you know, I need more pens.


Here are a few I like. The top one is Joanne Rock’s, the middle is Falguni Kothar’s, and the one on the bottom is Misha McKenzie’s.


Back to my procrastination. I cleaned out my pens. I got rid of all the pens that didn’t work. All the ones I never used and never would. All of the dried out markers, etc. I didn’t go through every pen in the house but at least the majority are nicely organized now. But not for long.


How about you? What is your favorite method of procrastination?

Check out my latest release, Return of the Cowgirl, the final book in the Gallaghers of Montana series. Available at your favorite digital outlet.


Visit me at my website: www.evegaddy.net
Twitter: @evegaddy

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

lol I use Jane Porter pens for important things, and I have some Tule pens I use for other stuff. Most of my pens are swag, and I don't share them with my guys.

denise

Unknown said...

I love pens as a SWAG item, Denise.

I don't think my husband knows how many pens I have!